Company Lore
Born in Astoria. Closed in 1973. Reissued for the road.
Red Fox Canning Co. began as Halvorsen & Reed Packing Works in 1927, serving Columbia River crews with salmon, beans, stew, and shelf-stable food that could survive a wet dock, a logging camp, or a truck cab.
The fox mark arrived in 1931, after a red fox the workers called Rusty became the shop's unofficial mascot. By the mid-century peak, the fox carrying a GOOD FOOD can had become the company's most recognizable label.
A Short History of Red Fox
-
The Packing Works Opens
Norwegian-American fisherman Nils Halvorsen and grocer Thomas Reed open a small packing house near the Astoria docks. Their first cases carry Columbia River salmon, baked beans, and beef stew.
-
Red Fox Gets Its Name
Rusty, a fox known for appearing beside the night shift, inspires a new company name and the hand-drawn fox-and-can trademark.
-
The Long Road Years
Red Fox provisions reach logging camps, coastal stores, and highway truck stops across the Pacific Northwest. “Packed for the Long Road” becomes the company slogan.
-
A Familiar Shelf Mark
At its peak, the cannery employs 86 workers and ships four signature labels throughout Oregon and Washington.
-
The Cannery Closes
Rising costs and a changing waterfront bring the final packing season to a close. The labels survive in tackle boxes, cupboards, and local paper collections.
-
The Archive Returns
Red Fox is reimagined as an archive brand, carrying the old dockside spirit onto shirts, caps, patches, and printed goods.